Barnsley v Crewe Alexandra
- Barnsley have won two of their three previous League Cup meetings with the Railwaymen, though lost their last meeting with them in 2008/09 at this stage.
- Crewe have won their last four against the Tykes in all competitions, scoring twice in each match.
- Barnsley have failed to score in four of their last five League Cup games at Oakwell.
- The Railwaymen haven’t progressed in three of their last four Round 1 matches which have been away from home.
Birmingham City v Cambridge United
- The Blues have scored in 13 of their last 14 League Cup matches; averaging 2.5 goals per game in that time.
- The last competitive meeting between the two sides came in the third tier of English football in April 1995 – The U’s were 1-0 winners on the day.
- This will be the first time Birmingham City and Cambridge have met in the League Cup.
- This is Cambridge’s first appearance in the League Cup since 2004/05. They’ve progressed just once in their last eight attempts in this competition against teams from higher divisions.
Blackburn Rovers v Scunthorpe United
- Rovers were 3-0 winners in the only previous meeting between the two clubs at Ewood Park (1972/73).
- Scunthorpe’s last two Round 1 games in the Capital One Cup have been settled by penalties. They beat Derby in a shootout in 2012/13 after the game had finished 5-5, but were beaten by Barnsley last season at this stage.
- Blackburn and Scunthorpe have met just twice before in all competitions – when in the third tier in 1972/73.
- Blackburn have lost (including penalty shootouts) their last three League Cup matches against lower league opposition, though all of those have been away from home.
Bolton Wanderers v Bury
- Since the 1989/90 season, Bolton Wanderers have only once failed to get beyond the First Round of the League Cup (2000/01 v Macclesfield Town).
- Bury were victorious in the last League Cup meeting with their neighbours, knocking out then Premier League Bolton in 1-0 in 2002/03.
- The away side has won each of the last three League Cup clashes between Bolton and Bury, while the home team has failed to score.
- Bury have made it past Round 1 just twice since the 2007/08 tournament.
Brighton & Hove Albion v Cheltenham Town
- The Seagulls have managed to get past Round 1 just once in their last five League Cup appearances.
- Cheltenham have won just two of their previous 16 games against Brighton in all competitions (D6 L8).
- The Robins have scored in each of their last 11 League Cup ties.
- Both teams have scored in each of the last 10 matches between Brighton and Cheltenham.
Bristol City v Oxford United
- Bristol City and Oxford United have met three times previously in the League Cup, with Oxford progressing on two occasions (1983/84 and 2002/03) to Bristol’s one (1988/99).
- Oxford United have scored just once in their last five League Cup matches, letting in 11 goals.
- The home side has failed to score in each of the last three encounters between these sides (all comps).
- Bristol City have been eliminated in five of their previous six League Cups by a team from a lower division.
Burton Albion v Wigan Athletic
- The Brewers last six League Cups games have seen a total of 31 goals, an average of 5.2 per game.
- Wigan last appeared in Round 1 of the League Cup in August 2004, losing to fourth tier Grimsby 1-0.
- This will be the first ever competitive meeting between Burton and Wigan.
- This will be just Burton’s second ever home game in the League Cup. They were eliminated on penalties last season in Round 2 by Fulham, with each of their previous seven games being away from home.
Carlisle United v Derby County
- Carlisle and Derby have met just once in the League Cup, in 1990. Derby went through to Round 3 winning 2-1 on aggregate over two legs.
- Carlisle’s 1-0 defeat to Derby in October 1990 is their only loss to the Rams in 14 games (W7 D6).
- Derby have progressed from their last two League Cup ties against lower division teams, having been eliminated in the four prior matches.
- The Cumbrians have let in 11 goals in their last three League Cup games against teams from a higher division.
Charlton Athletic v Colchester United
- The Addicks have lost just one of their last five meetings with Colchester United (W3 D1) in all competitions.
- Colchester have lost each of their previous four clashes against teams from a higher division in this competition.
- Charlton’s win over Oxford United at this stage of the competition last season was their first win over a lower league side in six attempts.
- The U’s have won only two of their last 11 away games in this competition (D1 L8).
Chesterfield v Huddersfield Town
- Chesterfield last made it into Round 2 in the 2006/07 League Cup, falling at this stage in each of the last seven editions.
- The Terriers are unbeaten in five games against the Spireites in all competitions (90 minutes only, W2 D3).
- The only previous League Cup match between these two sides came in Round 1 of the 2005/06 competition – Huddersfield were 4-2 victors away from home.
- Huddersfield have lost four of their last five away games in the League Cup (W1).
Coventry City v Cardiff City
- Coventry have been eliminated in Round 1 in four of their last five League Cup appearances, reaching Round 3 in 2013.
- Cardiff are unbeaten in six away games against Coventry in all competitions (W3 D3).
- The Sky Blues haven’t kept a clean sheet in any of their previous five home games in the League Cup.
- The Bluebirds have lost only one of their last six Round 1 ties in the Capital One Cup, albeit their most recent one in August 2012 against Northampton.
Crawley Town v Ipswich Town
- Crawley have never won a first round League Cup tie in normal time. They’ve lost two of their previous three games (August 2011 and 2013) and needed penalties to beat Millwall in 2012.
- Since making the League Cup semi-final in 2010/11, Ipswich have got past Round 1 just once in three appearances (Round 2 in 2013).
- This will be the first ever competitive meetings between the two sides.
- Both of Crawley’s League Cup wins have come at Broadfield Stadium (v AFC Wimbledon in preliminary round in July 2011 and against Bolton Wanderers in August 2012).
Dag & Red v Brentford
- Since joining the Football League in 2007, Dagenham and Redbridge have never made it past Round 1 of the League Cup.
- Brentford’s last clean sheet in the League Cup came in 2001, 19 games ago (Round 1 v Norwich City).
- This match is a reverse of last season’s Round 1 meeting – Brentford were 3-2 winners at Griffin Park.
- The Bees have failed to score in any of their last three away games in the League Cup, being eliminated each time.
Exeter City v Bournemouth
- The Grecians have failed to score in three of their last four games against Bournemouth, in all competitions.
- The Cherries have failed to find the net in each of their last seven away games in this competition.
- The sides have met twice before in League Cup history – Exeter City progressed from Round 1 in August 1978 while Bournemouth were victors at the same stage in 1987.
- Exeter’s last seven games in the League Cup have been at home – they have lost six of them (W1).
Leeds United v Accrington Stanley
- Leeds United have won all 11 of their previous Round 1 League Cup ties.
- Accrington’s last two progressions from Round 1 have come away from home and against Yorkshire clubs (v Doncaster in 2010 and Middlesbrough in 2013).
- The two sides’ only previous encounter came in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy in 2009 – Leeds won 2-0 at Elland Road.
- Leeds have won the last 14 League Cup games against teams from a lower division, last losing to then Sheffield United in 2002.
Luton Town v Swindon Town
- This is Luton’s first appearance in the League Cup since 2008/09.
- Swindon were 1-0 winners in the last meeting between the two at Kenilworth Road in January 2008.
- The Hatters have progressed from Round 1 in each of their last four games at this stage.
- The Robins have won four of their last five League Cup games against sides from lower divisions, the exception being Wycombe Wanderers in August 2005.
Millwall v Wycombe Wanderers
- These two sides have only ever met once in the League Cup, with Millwall prevailing 2-1 in Round 1 in August 2010. This was their last encounter in all competitions.
- Wycombe are unbeaten in their last four trips to the New Den in all competitions (W2 D2).
- The Lions have exited the League Cup only once in their last nine matches against sides from a lower division.
- Since reaching the semi-final stage in 2006/07, Wycombe have made it past Round 1 just once.
MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon
- MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon have only ever played once, in the FA Cup in December 2012. MK Dons won 2-1.
- AFC Wimbledon have never made it further than Round 1 of the League Cup in their three appearances in the competition.
- This is the first time MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon have met in the League Cup.
- MK Dons have progressed in each of the three League Cup ties in which they had been pitted against a side from a lower division.
Morecambe v Bradford City
- Morecambe are winless in five meetings against Bradford (all in League Two), drawing three and losing two.
- Bradford are unbeaten in their previous four visits to Morecambe, though three have ended in draws (W1).
- The Shrimps have made it into Round 2 in each of the last four seasons, but never further across those seasons.
- After reaching the final in 2013, Bradford City fell in the first round last season to Huddersfield Town.
Oldham Athletic v Middlesbrough
- These two teams have not met since April 1995, in the second tier. Oldham were 1-0 winners at Boundary Park.
- Middlesbrough beat Oldham 4-2 in the only previous fixture in the League Cup in September 1970.
- New signing Lee Tomlin has scored seven times in his last five League Cup appearances.
- Oldham last made it into Round 2 in 2008/09, being eliminated at this stage in each of the last five seasons.
Plymouth Argyle v Leyton Orient
- These sides have only ever met in one domestic cup fixture (FA Cup), which Leyton Orient won. (1-0, January 1956).
- The Pilgrims have fallen at this stage in five of their last six appearances.
- David Mooney has scored a total of six goals in his last eight league cup appearances.
- Plymouth have failed to score in four of their last seven matches against the O’s (all competitions).
Port Vale v Hartlepool United
- Port Vale’s last victory over Hartlepool came in the FA Cup, a 6-0 win in 1994. They’ve lost seven out of eight since, in all competitions (D1).
- After eight successive years of making it through Round 1, Hartlepool United have been eliminated at this stage in each of the last three seasons.
- This will be their first meeting in the League Cup.
- The Valiants have conceded 15 goals in their last four League Cup matches, losing each time.
Portsmouth v Peterborough United
- This will be the fourth League Cup tie between the two sides. Portsmouth won the most recent meeting in Round 1 of the 2002/03 League Cup.
- Peterborough have scored four or more goals in each of their last five Round 1 League Cup games.
- The away side has been victorious in three of the last four meetings between the two sides.
- Pompey have failed to score in their last three League Cup games at this stage.
Reading v Newport County
- Reading have shipped 13 goals in their last two League Cup games – losing 7-5 to Arsenal in October 2012 and 6-0 to Peterborough in August 2013.
- The only previous League Cup encounter between the two sides came in Round 1 of the 1970/71 competition – the Exiles won 2-1 on that day.
- That defeat to the Posh last season was the first time in 16 League Cup games that Reading had failed to score.
- In their first League Cup appearance since 1987, Newport County made it into Round 2 before being beaten by West Bromwich Albion.
Rochdale v Preston North End
- Rochdale are unbeaten in their four previous meetings with PNE (D2 L2).
- These sides have met once in the League Cup, with Preston winning 1-0 in the 1974-5 season.
- Preston last lost a Round 1 tie in 2007 to Morecambe; progressing in each of the last six seasons.
- The Dale have won only once in their last 12 League Cup games contested at Spotland (D5 L6).
Rotherham United v Fleetwood Town
- Only one of Rotherham’s last six League Cup eliminations has come at home.
- These two sides have only met three times competitively, including a 2-1 win to Fleetwood Town in the JP Trophy last season.
- Fleetwood have lost both of their previous Round 1 appearances in this competition, both to teams from Nottingham.
- Both teams have scored in Rotherham’s last 12 games at this stage.
Sheffield United v Mansfield Town
- In the FA Cup, Sheffield Utd have only beaten Mansfield once (1988); Mansfield have knocked them out twice (1951 and 1969).
- The last time these two met was in the third tier in April 1989, which ended in a 2-1 win to Mansfield.
- The Blades have fallen in four of their last five Round 1 ties, each to sides from divisions lower down the pyramid.
- The Stags have lost three of their last four League Cup ties away from home (W1).
Sheffield Wednesday v Notts County
- The Owls defeat to Rotherham in Round 1 of the 2013/14 competition was the first time in they’d been eliminated in the first round since 2008/09.
- The Magpies haven’t kept a clean sheet in six League Cup games.
- This will be the first meeting between the two sides in the League Cup.
- Wednesday haven’t conceded in any of their last four League Cup games at Hillsborough.
Shrewsbury Town v Blackpool
- Shrewsbury have lost in Round 1 to Championship sides in each of the last two League Cups.
- Blackpool’s last four League Cup eliminations have all come against sides from a lower tier.
- This will be the first time that these teams play each other in the League Cup.
- The Tangerines have been beaten only once in their last five trips to Shrewsbury in all competitions (W2 D2).
Southend United v Walsall
- The Shrimpers have been eliminated in the competition at this stage in each of the last three League Cups.
- The only previous cup meeting between the sides came in the 1988 FA Cup, in which Walsall beat Southend in a replay.
- Walsall are looking to make it to Round 2 for the third year in a row.
- Southend have won each of their last three home games in all competitions against Walsall without conceding.
Stevenage v Watford
- Stevenage have made it into Round 2 in the two past seasons, but never any further.
- Watford haven’t lost any of their last 10 games at this stage, but were eliminated on penalties against Bristol Rovers in August 2011.
- This will be the first ever competitive meeting between Stevenage and Watford.
- Boro have scored every League Cup game they’ve ever played in (six in total), but have kept just one clean sheet.
Tranmere Rovers v Nottingham Forest
- This will be the third tie between the two sides in the League Cup, with Nottingham Forest progressing twice.
- The Tricky Trees beat Tranmere 4-1 on penalties in their most recent League Cup meeting in Round 2 of the 2003/04 League Cup.
- Tranmere beat Nottingham Forest in the quarter finals of the League Cup in 1994, before losing in the semi-finals to eventual winners Aston Villa.
- Nottingham Forest have lost only of their previous seven Round 1 matches (W4 D2).
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Northampton Town
- These two sides have met twice in the League Cup, with Wolves prevailing on both occasions.
- Northampton Town have never won at Molineux in three previous trips (D1 L2).
- Wolves have conceded seven times over their last two League Cup games, without scoring.
- Northampton have managed to record just one clean sheet in their last 27 League Cup matches away from home.
Yeovil Town v Gillingham
- These two sides have only met once in a cup competition back in 1949; Yeovil won the contest 3-1.
- Gillingham hold only one win over the Glovers in nine matches (D3 L5).
- Yeovil are looking to progress to the second round for the third year in a row. They’ve never gone further than that though.
- The Gills have gone 12 games in the League Cup without a clean sheet.
York City v Doncaster Rovers
- York have won progressed from three of their four league cup matches against Doncaster.
- However, in the last League Cup clash in August 2012, Doncaster beat the Minstermen on penalties 4-2.
- York City haven’t progressed from the first round game of the League Cup since 1997/98.
- This will be only Doncaster’s second away game in 10 League Cup ties.
Click here to view our full range of betting on the Capital One Cup and all other domestic and European competitions